Monday, May 02, 2005

Veiled Conceit

Am I the only young woman not looking to get married any time soon who is fascinated by The New York Times Sunday Weddings section? First of all, let's not even pretend that when I used to get the Sunday NY Times (been on hiatus thanks to budgetary cutbacks at the Hummer household) I would read the front page section or even the "Week in Review" news. Hells no! I jumped right to Sunday Styles (also pulling out the magazine and Arts section for good measure, but more often than not never getting around to reading them either) and licked my lips in anticipation of satiating my voyeuristic addiction to the wedding announcements.

I'm not sure what it is that so interests me about these mini-peeks into other people's lives...I love to read about where their parents live, what colleges and grad schools they went to, where they work and where they live, trying to piece these facts into some vision of what their life has been like, what has brought them to this point. It's not that I'm envious of what they have or unhappy with my own life, just curious about the decisions other people make in their lives and how they find happiness, I guess. Of course, how can I really know that from the few sanitized and polished up tidbits the Times prints? I mean, shit, this is what my life would boil down to right now in the NY Times Wedding section:

Elizabeth Lauren Hummer, daughter of J. Thomas Hummer of Portland, Ore. and Nancy Milton of Elk Grove, Calif., was married yesterday to _______________ [I'm not going to freak John out by including him in this purely hypothetical wedding announcement that's really all about me anyway], son of ____________. Officiant and location TK.

Ms. Hummer, 23, is an assistant account executive for PR-at-Large, a public relations agency in Portland, Ore. She graduated magna cum laude from Lewis & Clark College.

Her father retired from the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals in Sacramento, Calif., where he was a staff research attorney. Her mother retired from family law mediation and now works for the Catholic Diocese in Sacramento. The bride is the step-daughter of Joseph Milton, staff counsel at the California State Department of Fish & Game.

Groom's info goes here.......


Jeez, what does that tell ya about me? A whole lotta nothin'! But that's what it would say about me following the NY Times format. Let's just say I won't be getting married until I have more achievements under my belt to include in a wedding announcement! Ha.

Anyway, the point of this post is that I have found a blogger who is equally as fascinated with the NY Times Wedding announcements as me, and posts merciless comments and judgmental inferences about the couples for me (and hopefully you) to enjoy at Veiled Conceit.com. Have fun making fun of all those blissful newlyweds!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:08 PM

    Glad to know you're not looking to get married any time soon. (But then I knew that (( think).)

    I subscribe to the Sunday New York Times, you're welcome to come over and read it anytime. (Gee, maybe now she'll visit me, and her cat, more often.)

    Thanks for the props, but (ahem) you need to correct your wedding announcement. I was a judicial attorney, not a staff attorney. That means I worked for one judge (a better gig), not for the court as a whole. And it was the Third District Court of Appeal in Sacramento--a state, not a federal, court of appeal.

    And what does your announcement say about you? A whole lotta nothin'? I don't think so! Magna cum laude (and don't forget departmental honors) from one of the best private liberal arts colleges? Nothing to sneeze at there. Good breeding you've got, too (:-)), a prerequisite for inclusion in the New York Times Weddings section.

    Now, if you could only write one for me. (First you gotta find me a bride, though.)

    Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:24 AM

    you so want to get married :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:25 AM

    p.s. and i think you should visit your dad more cuz then you can hang out with me too

    ReplyDelete