Saturday, June 18, 2005

New York City - Friday, 6.10.05

First of all, some photos of that sunrise on the plane.....so gorgeous.




Pretty sweet, huh? These may be my favorite pictures of the whole trip.


So after nearly missing my connecting flight in Minneapolis, praying to the luggage gods that my bags made it on the plane with me (they did), and running on only about 2 hours of sleep (not consecutive, mind you), I finally arrived in New York City – well, Newark, NJ, but a helluva lot closer to Manhattan than Portland – around 11am PST. On the bus into the city, I was so thrilled to be there – and deliriously sleep-deprived – that I went camera phone crazy. The edited results below:


Yep, that's me, a little wide-eyed-crazy-happy to be on my way into the city. I must have no shame to post this on the internet, truly.


My first H&M sighting! If I wasn't so tired, I would have jumped off the bus right then and there and done a little shopping. As it was, I kept my lazy wits about me and waited until the next day to get my fix.


Not a second later, we drove by a Forever 21. Not quite as exciting... [see my previous post about H&M vs. Forever 21]


Hot dog stand! I was so excited to see my first one of these - I suppose that my empty stomach may have a little to do with that - but as it turned out, I didn't get a hot dog on the street my whole time there. Maybe that's because I wasn't ever hungover enough!

Mari and Michael met me at the bus stop right by Grand Central, and Mari and I started lugging all the bags back onto the subway to dump them at her place. We walked into Grand Central, where I used to get off the subway everyday for work, and I got very giddy and took this picture:


That is such a stunning building, and this picture really doesn't do it justice. Forgive me.

When Mari and I got off the subway at the 57th street stop right by her apartment, who was on the platform but Kurt "RedBall" Perschke! Small freakin' world - in all of Manhattan (he lives there) and of all the times (I was only there for 5 days, one week after he was in Portland), we ran into each other on one random subway platform. It was one of those moments that can only happen in the most populated city in the country. Fabu!

After all of this excitement, we finally got to Mari's place - very cute, by the way, and her camera phone pics don't do it justice - and I had about 15 minutes (if that!) to rest before I had to head back to Grand Central to meet John's mom for lunch, which was very enjoyable. As tired as I was, I think was running on some sort of lack-of-sleep adrenaline, because I had a ton of energy and talked with John's mom, Elizabeth, all through our 2.5 hour lunch.

The next stop on my whirlwind first day in NYC was dinner with a group of my ASME friends at 'inoteca on the Lower East Side. On the way there, Mari and I walked by Teany, Moby's tea shop where Gwyneth Paltrow celebrated her daughter Apple's first birthday. Of course, I had to take a picture because I'm a whore for anything celebrity-related (more of that to come in subsequent posts, so brace yourself):



Dinner was a blast - and very yummy - just like the old days when all the ASME interns would get together on Friday for a big group dinner. Here's some documentation (thanks Brooke!) of our mini-reunion; the pictures say it all:


Brooke (who works at VITALS) and Kim (who works at Glamour).

A whole series of pictures of Emily (one of my former roommates, who now works at All You) and me...








Kerry (who also works at VITALS) makin' a silly face.


Robin (who works at Twist) looks stunned, but I'm not sure why.


Meredith (who works at Ladies' Home Journal) enjoys her delicious dinner.


Oh, there's a camera in my face - I better smile!


Mari (who doesn't work right now) is so beautiful.


While we finished our wine and waited for the check, Kerry got a little creative...


The avant-garde fruits of her labor. I'm sure the waitstaff loved us!

Stuffed and a little tipsy, Emily, Meredith, Mari and I headed uptown to a bar called Tin Lizzie's (fitting, yes?) where drinks were two for one (sweeeeet!). Unfortunately, I could only handle one beer, so we ended up heading home before the night got to crazy....Lame, I know, but I hadn't slept at all and had to get up at 9am the next morning for the conference, so please give me a break. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment