Friday, January 09, 2009

Living the Dream?

I had coffee today with an old acquaintance (I wish there was a warmer word for someone you know, have never really hung out with, but would like to be friends with). I met him probably over three years ago, back when Kristen and I first thought of PONY. He was always a fan of the idea, even marveled at the fact that I hadn't already ridden my PONY off to New York already (to paraphrase) when he first emailed me again several months ago. So seeing him today was fitting.

Why? Well, because five years after I first fell in love with the city, I'm finally doing it. Call me crazy, but in the bleakest economic climate in my lifetime (and my parents'), when the future of print publishing is in question, I'm moving to New York. I suppose getting laid off and being single for the longest period since college (which means more than a measly two months) will make you do slightly crazy things. If I don't do it now, with this complete freedom, I never will.

So what better time to start blogging again? Over the next three months, I'll be trying to build a bridge between PO and NY, living that PONY concept more empirically than ever. I have no idea what will happen, but that's the adventure. And in honor of the seeking, fearless spirit that I'm trying to nurture, let's take a look at some fellow Portlanders who are headed East:

Leanne Marshall: Winner of Project Runway Season 5, making Portland very proud and bringing national attention to our thriving indie fashion scene. She told TV Guide about her plans to move right after winning, and Portland Monthly recently reported that she's apartment-hunting. Not sure what her timeline is, but they also note she's hired the new Portland Garment Factory to sew her designs. High-profile "Made in Portland" fashions in New York – PONY, indeed.

Stumptown Coffee: In name and essence, there may be nothing that embodies Portland more than our most beloved local coffee roasters. Rumblings about a possible migration began a year ago, when the Ace Hotel – which Stumptown caffeinates locally – announced they'd be opening an NYC location. It became official when founder Duane Sorenson moved to Brooklyn, reported by The New York Times in August. He'll open a cafe and roastery in Red Hook, plus make good on that Ace Hotel rumor this year. If only I drank coffee, I'd be all set!

Now, I know I'm not nearly as well-known as these two Portlanders. But they prove that even in a metropolis overflowing with their specialties, if you do it well, with that unique Northwest pioneering energy, you can make it. And at a time when so much is uncertain, I find comfort in hopping on the PDX-NYC wave they're surfing. I'll be updating the list with new finds – building momentum – so check back. Updated sidebar links and more PONY posts as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment