Thursday, April 14, 2005

Ask yourself...

Gawker jokes that this list of questions is what New York City is using to measure people's risk of depression. To me, they are the reasons I both long to and fear moving back to NYC.

· How much is your rent?
· Have you had difficulty finding a caring partner who loves and respects you?
· Is your career personally fulfilling?
· How much is your rent?
· Do you fear being the victim of a violent crime?
· Have you found supportive, loyal friends whom you can trust and confide in?
· How many roommates do you have?
· Can you afford to take advantage of all the social and cultural activities this city has to offer?
· How much is your rent?

The thing is, by these standards, my quality of life is pretty awesome in Portland. My rent is insanely low at $220/month; I have a wonderfully caring partner who loves, respects and admires me; my career, though just starting out, is interesting and challenging (this one, I have to admit, is a little shakier - I still miss mags); aside from John having a glass Gatorade bottle thrown through his car window (where in the world can you still buy Gatorade in a glass bottle??), there's been no violent crime anywhere in my vicinity; I have a number of good friends here - though I certainly have even more in NYC; 2 roommates, but one is my boyfriend and he doesn't count; and because everything is more reasonably priced here, I CAN afford to take advantage of the social and cultural activities in Portland (believe me, there are more than you may think). But there is still something about NYC that's calling me, like an irresistible siren song. In an ideal world, I would live in both places. Maybe one day I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment